“The solution is fantastic, I look forward to getting LPD up and going properly and promoting its use across our wider project teams”
How JTC is improving the capital project delivery with Lean PlanDo?
This is a case experience from implementing the Integrated Lean Project Delivery (ILPD) System of Lean PlanDo at JTC Industrial development projects in Singapore from 2019.
Of project delays are being mitigated resulting in early completion
Improvement in cycle times of structural works achieved for faster completion
Return on investment achieved due to cost savings from Lean PlanDo in the projects
JTC Corporation, is a Singaporean state owned real estate company and statutory board under the Ministry of Trade and Industry headquartered in Singapore. JTC collaborated with Lean Station to implement Lean construction methodology of planning and execution in its projects since 2016. In 2019 JTC began implementing Lean PlanDo in all its industrial developmental projects in Singapore.
Developer / Government Agency
Creating tomorrow’s industry spaces. Demand Accelerator.
JTC builds extremely complex developments of different nature – including industrial and commercial buildings, infrastructure, marine and underground facilities. The project contracts vary from $1 million to several Billions. Before implementing Lean PlanDo, JTC faced the following challenges:
- JTC Project managers needed to depend on the contractor’s weekly and monthly report for troubleshooting project problems. This was time taking and unreliable many times leading to delayed troubleshooting and decision making.
- As the Project teams relied on conventional planning and lack of any digital tools, it meant that it took significant time to review all issues in large projects. There were possibilities of many critical issues being left unreported and unhandled until they became a bottleneck.
- The nature of the issues that were being reported during the duration of the project execution were repetitive. This indicated that the root causes of such issues were not addressed sufficiently well. It took very long investigation process and significant effort of the JTC project manager and the contractor team to identify the root causes and address them.
JTC – Lean PlanDo implementation program
With the goal of delivering projects on-time and within budget, Lean PlanDo was able to address the challenges of JTC through its Integrated approach to Lean project delivery through following these implementation steps:
- Lean Station has developed a comprehensive JTC – Lean PlanDo implementation program that was flexible and customizable for varied projects that JTC developed. It included the provision of licenses of Lean PlanDo for itself and all the project stakeholders like contractors, consultants and subcontractors; software coaching, lean facilitation and handholding during its implementation and support to JTC project managers to practise lean management effectively.
- As a part of the program, JTC has been able to transform the traditional master plan approval stage to be collaborative and progressive with the involvement of all the consultants and contractors together with JTC. Construction challenges are pre-emptively analyzed earlier in this planning phase, increasing the reliability and executability of the program.
- A weekly cycle of collective planning is practised between the stakeholders which replaces the conventional weekly reporting meeting practice. This has been transformed into proactive sessions where future works and possible issues are anticipated and planned for with constraints. This weekly meeting was called the Lean PlanDo lookahead meeting.
- Site reporting is being digitized through Lean PlanDo mobile apps where site teams including subcontractors are trained. They use the user-friendly apps to update progress and issues faced during execution enabling real-time collaboration and effective coordination with the planning teams in the site-offices. JTC project managers can get involved in critical site issues and collaborate with the contractors when necessary.
- The weekly project review meeting included a review of the Lean PlanDo Insights to identify the critical issues to address from the past week which were the bottlenecks. It further included a forward planning stage that formed the integral part of this weekly Lean PlanDo lookahead meeting.
Benefits experienced by JTC with
- The JTC-Lean PlanDo program established a smooth production of the construction projects by transforming the mindset from project management to project improvement.
- As Lean PlanDo is a digital system and available on a secure cloud, the information on the project is available anywhere anytime to all the project stakeholders. This improved the availability of information for making critical decisions including an accurate projection of the end date of the project and the dynamic critical paths.
- The JTC project managers and task owners were alerted of potential delays and actual delays to take immediate actions to rectify it, preventing long troubleshooting times.
- Lean PlanDo aggregates data from various sources of the site through its mobile apps which helped in various processes of planning, collaboration and reporting in these construction projects.
- Lean PlanDo improved the pace of troubleshooting for root causes. Many delays were avoided as the issues were pinpointed with greater accuracy due to this transformative process.
JTC has seen the following improvements in the project delivery process after implementing Lean PlanDo in their projects:
- Committed execution from all stakeholders due to increased accountability and ownership.
- It has now been possible to achieve clarity of objective, where each stakeholder knows what needs to be completed and what they have to do.
- Lean PlanDo has been able to promote a greater sense of responsibility and transparency across all the project stakeholders.
RECOVERING WITH MINIMUM LOSSES
A successful story of project recovery through Integrated Lean Project Delivery (ILPD) & collective team efforts.
Remain relevant while the construction industry is rapidly changing by utilizing Lean PlanDo in your projects to constantly refine your capabilities and while achieving digitization in all your processes.
Our Partner Reviews
“Lean PlanDo helps in planning better by identifying the constraints and crucial dates. We are of the view that, the more stakeholders there are in the Lean PlanDo team, the more effective it would be”
Dr. Mangesh G. Korgaonker
“Keeping pace with the current needs of the construction industry, NICMAR has acquired academic licence of Lean PlanDo and trained faculty to bring a paradigm shift in the AEC industry in India towards collaborative planning for enhanced productivity and performance of projects”
“Lean PlanDo software uses lean principles and Last Planner® System methodology to make planning predictable and reliable. Adopting Lean PlanDo for projects in Malaysia will help to improve collaboration and commitment of project team to meet project demands. Construction companies can reduce waste in their operations and grow the margin with Lean PlanDo”
Han Sen Goh
“Lean PlanDo helps in planning better by identifying the constraints and crucial dates. Plans are more reliable and helps in reacting to challenges proactively”
“Stakeholders at all levels – including contractors on the ground – need to be involved in planning and implementation, and Lean PlanDo promotes this through an open and decentralised approach. This gives every individual greater ownership over tasks and in turn higher motivation to carry them out”